Rockingham County has been awarded CDBG COVID – 19 Assistance Grant to help residents who are behind on their rent and/or utilities. Applications for this grant are being taken by the United Way of Rockingham County. Applications will be taken by appointment in person at the Governmental Center in Wentworth. Please call the United Way of Rockingham County Office at 336.342.7768 to schedule an appointment. Applications may be downloaded and printed from this site. The application may be found at the bottom of this page, along with the Program Process and the Duplication of Benefits Policy.
- Documentation of income LOSS due to Covid-19 shutdowns/restrictions affecting your employment
- Grant Awards will be paid directly to entity owed (i.e. Duke Power, Piedmont Natural Gas, Water/Sewer, etc.)
- Documentation the debt owed is in the same name as the applicant
- Identification documentation
- Copy of bill and/or lease agreement showing amount currently due and amount past due
Applications will be taken by United Way of Rockingham County, Inc. The application was created in conjunction with Rockingham County Department of Health and Human Services and in accordance with existing Rockingham County Social Service programs. All efforts were made to ensure program requirements met both North Carolina and Rockingham County social service program standards and were not duplication of services.
The application will obtain information from the applicant:
- Which type of assistance is being sought (Utility Bills, Past due notice from landlord – must contain BOTH normal monthly rent and total past due)
- Documentation of direct impact Covid-19 had on income (30 – 60 days before income hit and 30 – 60 days after income hit – paystubs, bank statements showing direct deposit and/or 2019 and 2020 tax returns in full)
- Documentation to verify existence of need (Covid positive test result for self/child/spouse; notification to quarantine from employer/school; documentation employer reduced hours and/or closed for a period of time)
- Identification of Applicant (Drivers License and Social Security Card and Social Security Card for all minors living in household)
- Documentation verifying Applicant is indeed the debtor – Applicant must be named on account or proof of same household – such as spouse).
Vetting of Application
Applications will be verified by the United Way of Rockingham County, Inc. in conjunction with Rockingham County Department of Health and Human Services.
- Verify information contained within the application
- Document verification
- Verify from the entity true amount delinquent
Any application failing to meet administration requirements will be denied and the applicant will be contacted. If applicant can provided missing/correct information, the application may be reconsidered. If not, the application will be filed for documentation purposes. Any application found to be completed and verification of all requirements have been met, will then be forwarded by United Way of Rockingham County, Inc. to the Rockingham County Department of Health and Human Services with a recommendation of approval and a Secondary Review Form. Rockingham County Department of Health and Human Services will review the application, verification procedures, and recommendation along with completing the accompanying review form. If a problem is found with the application or verification, the application will be returned in an attempt to correct any errors and the applicant will be contacted. If everything is found in order, the Rockingham County Department of Health and Human Services will sign off in agreement of approval. The application will then be returned to United Way of Rockingham County, Inc. for documentation purposes.
Duplication of Benefits, Ineligible Benefits, Fraudulent Benefits
In the event it is determined there is a duplication of benefit, ineligible benefit or otherwise fraudulently obtained benefit, Rockingham County Government will seek to recoup those funds in accordance with the Rockingham County Duplication of Benefits Policy. On the application, an Attestment will be signed by the applicant under penalty of perjury and with the understanding duplicated/ineligible/fraudulently obtained funds will be required to be repaid. Rockingham County Government reserves the right to use all means and methods at their legal disposal to recoup any inappropriately obtained funds including the North Carolina Court System.
Full Copy of Process and Program Outline Program Policy and Process
Download Application Printable copy of CDBG-Covid 19 grant application
Printable copy Duplication of Benefits Policy